Did you ever realize how much I adored you; worshipped you.
My heart; the one I always sought to please, the one who understood.
The one who always knew what to do and say; had all the answers.
The one I always turned to, listened to, admired.
The one that was always there and always would be.
My hero: the one man who I knew for certain would never hurt me. Always protect me and never let me down.
I never realized how much till that day; the day your heart failed.
When I got that phone call I thought my heart would stop too.
I remember sitting waiting during your surgery.
I felt like a child again; lost and afraid.
Afraid for you.
Afraid for them.
Afraid for me.
Facing the prospect of losing you I realized just how important you are in my life.
My anchor, my safety net, my best friend….without you I would be lost. I was afraid I would not be able to cope with the pain of you leaving.
You pulled through!
Where is that man now?
I’ve watched him disappear; consumed by his demons and the alcohol used to suppress them.
I don’t know what you remember about that week; I remember everything.
I remember the look in your eyes when you grabbed my hand and begged me to help you.
I promised I would and I meant it.
You sent us out; wanted to be alone. In no time you were ringing, demanding we bring you another bottle.
I found you on the floor. You swore and hurled insults. But you rolled over and the real you peaked out for a second, you mumbled
“I don’t know who I am anymore; I don’t understand what’s going on in my head. I need help”.
You curled into the foetal position and cried. I lay on the floor next to you, hugged you and cried with you….I felt my heart break. Do you remember that?
I did everything I could to help you; talked, shouted, pleaded.
I promised to go with you. You would agree.
You would change your mind and reach for the whiskey instead.
Then you threw me out, remember.
You decided everything was my fault. More abuse, more swearing, name calling; said I was no longer your daughter.
You kept ringing to remind me; incoherent, disturbing ranting!
I called every agency and authority I could think of while you veered between child-like sobbing, rampaging around swearing and hurling around hurtful words and suicide threats/attempts.
I tried to get them to section you, arrest you, anything so long as you were taken somewhere you would be safe.
They wouldn’t.
There was only one way that weekend could have ended.
I got your messages of apology from the hospital. You remember I sent one back saying that it didn’t matter; it was all okay but please accept the help offered.
How long was it…..2 hours after you left the hospital?
You had refused help again.
That is when my heart broke completely. I knew then I’d lost you.
I can’t help you anymore, you will not help yourself.
This eats away at me every day.
So we try not to look each other in the eye now, don’t we?
Too un-comfortable to say how we really feel….a polite façade now.
I know how you feel about that week, I can see it in your eyes; hurt and ashamed.
I guess you see the hurt and disappointment in mine, too.
I have no anchor; I just drift.
‘The one man who would never hurt me’ I was wrong. How can I believe in anyone now?
My world and everything it was based on pulled apart; the rug pulled from under me.
Like that trick where you pull out the tablecloth; except you’re shit at it and everything smashes.
Who do I turn to now?
Who has all the answers?
Sometimes I feel so angry with you.
I want to kick you up the arse, tell you to grow some balls, tell you how disappointed I am in you; that I thought you were stronger than this.
I want to ask why we are not enough; why don’t you love us enough to stop this.
I want to smack you till you realize what you are doing to yourself and us.
Sometimes I want to tell you to get on with it.
If you are intent on destroying yourself, if this is the way it will end then for fucks sake get it over with and let us out of this nightmare; let us grieve and move on.
Let me buy you a drink!
Then I hate myself for feeling that way.
Sometimes I wish you were dying of cancer or some similar disease;
you could still be my hero then.
Then I hate myself for feeling that way.
I love you but I can’t even say that to you anymore.
Sunday, 25 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
hey there dg.
there are no words that i can speak at the moment. i just wanted to leave you a comment to say that i love you so much my fellow manc and i truly think that you are so brave and strong. reading that post made me cry and i just want you to know that if you ever need someone to talk to i will always be there. you can email me or just leave a comment on my blog but i will be there with my ear and i big hug.
much respect to you hunny.
Thank you for stopping by.
Honey, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. This made me cry 'cause yeah, I know that.
You are a great person and very courageous. I admire you so much for that.
If you ever need to talk, feel free to contact me.
Here's a hug for the road.
Thank you
It really does mean SO much! Feels like I'm not on my own, I appreciate that.
Thanks again.....much love!!!
No words, just love sent.
* hugs *
Thank you for your kind words on my blog. Now let me offer you some in return. I understand your pain but I applaud your strength. Stay strong and true to yourself. You can only do so much. We can't live other peoples lives for them. They make their own choices chose their own paths. We have to chose ours. As you told me..stay true to your heart. Know that you've done the best you can then move on. It's hard but what other choice is there really?
Oh sweetheart, I am so sorry that we ever had bad feelings between us. Reading this post just ripped my heart in tiny pieces, L as well.
Let me just say that we love you and respect you. What inner strength you must possess to deal with such a soul-wrenching situation your whole life.
I'm still trying not to cry.
My father passed away in 1988 from leukemia, not the same situation as yours at all, but I understand how you and I can miss both of them in similar ways.
We will pray for you and your family. And as far as any ill will, consider it completely a thing of the past. Remember what SS always says:
Faith, Hope, Love
J and L
DG, thank you for your comment on my blog. I just realized it recently.
...
First before I answer your question, I need to comment on your blog.
This was so honest. And I wish I had those answers for you. I really wish I did.
For what it's worth, don't feel bad for the things you have wished for. I am amazed that you admitted that because I too, in a totally different situation, wished for something different - possibly even death. I hated that I thought that way. I think it is our way of wanting the person we love to finish their life with some dignity intact.
Thank you for this truthful account of your life. Lean on your friends and those that care about you. Give yourself some time away from the situation and time to reflect, but try not to let it consume your life. As hard as that may be.
Secondly, to answer your question. I am okay. I really appreciate that you took the time to inquire. It means a lot.
Many hugs to you.
Love,
Anima
Thank you.
Your support and words mean SO much!
Post a Comment